We’ve built our processes around
simplicity, transparency and common
- We competitively bid every aspect of our projects with time-tested contractors that have proven their quality and expertise – many have worked for us for decades.
- We have our clients work with both architects and designers to ensure that their vision and needs are met with attention to the project being timeless and period-correct.
- We price our renovations on a cost-plus-fee basis, where all costs and fees are fully disclosed to our clients. Revision operates on a fully open-book basis; all bids and invoices are open to our clients to review. We don’t ask our clients to sign a contract until we have a final project design, material selections, and a budget that meets our client’s expectations.
- We work with our clients to determine what existing materials can be reused or refinished to reflect our commitment to the environment and to your budget.
- We bill monthly, and only for work done or materials delivered and invoiced to us. We don’t take large deposits. We’re paid as work is completed.
- We manage payments and lien releases through a third party title company. Your payments are disbursed directly to those that have done the work.
- We employ technology to make the renovation process as seamless as possible. We’ve developed an online system that allows every member of the team to access project information, 24-7. Plans, specifications, budget, finish selections, change orders, schedule, and all project information is accessible to the entire team at any time.
SELECTION OF THE TEAM
Rather than be limited to one architectural style, we assist our clients in interviewing several local architects that we feel are the best in the business. While we’ll work with whoever you feel is the best fit for your project, there are several architects with whom we’ve developed trusting & strong relationships. We’ll help you interview architects to determine who is the best fit for your project.
We’ve found that the selection of the architect generally comes down to three factors:
- Design aesthetic / portfolio of past projects. While the architects we recommend are able to conform to any particular architectural style, it’ll be clear after looking at their portfolio that they have a passion & skill within a specific field.
- Fee structure – fees range with the scope of work that is expected from the designer.
- The architect’s rapport / personality. Clients often comment after making their selection that the chosen architect “just seemed to get it” or “understood how we live.”
John is involved in the interviews with architects & in all design meetings to help keep your project on track, and on budget.
Once the architect is selected, our clients contract directly with the architect – keeping you in control of the process and in ownership of the work that is done.
A _ DESIGN SCHEDULE
Once design is under way we’ll meet every couple of weeks to review and discuss the design of your renovation. Typically, design will take 1-2 months; but this process can be drawn out over as many months as you have available. We encourage our clients to begin design early and spend plenty of time in between design meetings to consider the concepts – to” live in the design.”
B _ DESIGN PREPARATION
Contemporary, cottage, craftsman, French provincial – these terms may mean different things to you than to your architect. The best way to communicate is with photographs. We encourage you to create a scrapbook of photos that appeal to you. Organize it by the room(s) you are renovating – exterior, kitchen, master bathroom, etc… The more prepared and organized you are, the better your architect will understand your goals for your remodeled space. Create a wishlist, room by room. Include features, your plans for using the room, special pieces of furniture you intend to bring and anything else that will help the team understand your vision.
C _ CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
These hand drawn, artistic translations are fun to look at and even more fun to play with. They capture the initial statement of a lifestyle quickly and inexpensively. Every architect has their own process, but most will present hand drawn, loose concepts at the first design review.
D _ BUDGET AT CONCEPTUAL DESIGN STAGE
At this early stage, it’s too early to solicit actual bids from subcontractors. Instead, we’ll target the budget by identifying an expected cost per square foot. We’ll determine this cost based on our experience and our conversations regarding your home’s amenities, finishes & features.
E _ DESIGN DEVELOPMENT
After perfecting the conceptual design, the architect will proceed into CAD drawings. Design will proceed to a set of drawings that can be bid by subcontractors – the ‘bid set’. Once we reach this point, we’ll pause the design process to prepare a formal budget to make sure we’re on track with your budget expectations.
REFINING THE DRAWINGS
At this level, the concept sketches go to a Computer Aided Design (CAD) system in the next step toward final, refined construction blueprints. We also draw a front elevation to see how the home will look on the exterior, as well as a floor plan for each floor.
LISTENING TO CRAFTSMEN
While most builders wait for final plans, we have subcontractors review plans early on in the process to provide an early opinion. It gives mechanics and carpenters an early look at the feasibility of the design to identify challenges or better ways to achieve the desired results.
MANAGING YOUR BUDGET
We competitively bid every aspect of the budget. We enlist the best contractors available, competing against peers. Bidding keeps them on track and competitive. We take our fiduciary responsibility of our clients’ funds very seriously and ensure the entire project is cost effective.
UP FRONT BUDGET REVIEW
VERIFYING COSTS EARLY
Revision is known for exceptionally detailed specifications and budgets. Once we’ve developed the Bid Set of drawings, we”ll develop specifications for the project – a description of the finishing of the renovation that is not yet included on the drawings. We’ll compile the drawings and the specifications to solicit competitive bids for every aspect of your project.
With preliminary bids returned from contractors, our clients have an early look at real pricing and can go forward confident about the cost of the project. At this stage of design, we’re able to make changes to the design without significant expense.
Once we’ve refined the preliminary budget, the architect will begin work on the working drawings. This stage of design typically takes 1-3 months, depending on the size and design of the renovation. While this final design work is being done, we’ll work on interior design and materials selections.
Once the working drawings are complete, and your selections have been finalized, we’ll repeat the budgeting process. The final budget will be based upon your final plans & selections. Our final budget will largely be composed of firm bids – all from competitive bidders.
Revision is known for our comprehensive budgeting & accuracy. Our competitive process delivers a lower cost per square foot than our competitors and can save hundreds of thousands of dollars for our clients.
Throughout the project, we oversee the quality assurance of your home every step of the way. Our project managers pride themselves on keeping an open line of communication throughout the process with not only subcontractors, but also the homeowners, keeping them informed and answering any questions that may arise.
Well-developed building practices are only the first step in building a quality home. No matter how well a project is managed, things can slip through the cracks. To minimize this, we performance test all of our homes throughout construction to verify that procedures have been followed and the details have been attended to.
We use tools like moisture meters to verify the moisture content of sub floors prior to installing hardwood flooring. High-accuracy humidity meters are used to keep a check on the indoor humidity levels throughout construction; installing equipment as necessary to add or remove humidity. We use blower door units to de-pressurize the home, and infrared cameras to locate penetrations in the insulation as well as air barriers.
Responsible. Reliable. Reputable. So you can Relax.
Revision’s subcontractors are known for their skill and professionalism. Most of these craftsmen are family businesses known to be the best in their trade. They are proud of the work they do. Many have been partnered with us for thirty, even forty, years. Each subcontractor has passed Revision’s high quality control expectations before being allowed the opportunity to work on our projects.
Our subcontractors enjoy working with us not because we demand a quality, cost-effective job, but rather because they would be satisfied with nothing less. Partnered together, we will not tolerate inadequate or minimal specifications. Working efficiently, productively, and predictably, we get the job done right the first time. Their work is a reflection of the Revision philosophy.
Over the course of a project, our clients come to know their craftsmen. They often feel they are like family, bringing coffee or donuts or even lunch to show appreciation for the hard work and quality results they achieve. Many clients even invite subcontractors to the completion party because they have become friends and enjoyed working with them.
We trust that you will appreciate the hard work of the craftsmen that will be working on your project and take comfort in knowing that they wouldn’t be there if they hadn’t earned our trust.
Reliable & Committed
We choose our suppliers with the same care that we select subcontractors. They are time-tested and reliable. We expect them to be as committed as we are to:
- Quality of materials in function and finish
- Best-of-breed reputation and products
- Innovation and excellence
Revision often pioneers the use of innovative products in our renovations as a part of our constant search for ways to improve the function, efficiency, and value of our renovations.
We strive to be the leader in the building industry. Our building practices and product quality are second to none. Working with us is nothing short of refreshing.